Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Fashion: Modern Man's Guide to a Vegas Spring/Summer

Spring and summer is here! Yay...?
I had just bought the biannual special issue of GQ Magazine and it was a guide on the trends and styles men can work with for Spring and Summer. All of the notable trends were covered but the biggest issue I had as I read was, "How am I supposed to layer up in this heat?"

I was trying to imagine myself with even one more layer than a single one but I personally cannot bear the summertime heat here in the Southwest. If I had to describe the weather here to anyone who might not have a clue, all I can say is that outside during the summer literally, without any exaggeration, feels like a heat lamp and winds like a hairdryer. Temperatures in the 3-digits and high nineties is quite common and therefore, if you layer up, you better have some seriously light clothing.

Where am I going with this? Basically I want to share my ideas and insights on the upcoming 2-3 months of heat we have here in Vegas which honestly, scare me. If you can do just fine or don't care all too much then that's fine. I mainly have to deal with the heat a little bit more because my car does not have air conditioning. I will try to explain the reasoning behind these articles of clothing and hopefully, we all take something from it!

Bucket Hats 
Navy Wool Bucket Hat. Light and can be tucked away easily.

These things are great. They are light weight and have a brim that can protect both the back of your neck and give you eyes some shade when it is super sunny. You can always take them off and tuck them away somewhere in your bag or even in your pockets! I have been wearing one and I apparently look like a tourist. That's alright though since tourists are common here!

Shirts
Light colors and comfortable fabric.
I am extremely picky with my plaid patterns.

The thing with button-up shirts is that they are just as comfortable as a t-shirt but you have a more dressed look. This is also thanks to the fact that your shirt is clean and not wrinkled (right?). You can never really go wrong with a shirt when you go out but be mindful of your colors and patterns. If you can, try and play around with floral patterns and lively earthly colors. There are many lightweight fabrics out there like the common cotton, linen, and seersucker, that can keep you cool while looking cool as well. (Pun-tastic huh.)

Shorts | Swim Trunks
You can cuff em' too if you want a shorter length.
Can't go wrong with a floral pattern for to be in tune with the season.
Lively pattern for swimwear. Or maybe just wear these shorts where ever you want.
Hey, I love pants as much as the next guy but sometimes we just can't keep cool when it's a hundred degrees out there. Try some shorts and find some good styles and designs that will suit your taste. Fit is still something you have to note and it will make or break how you wear shorts.

Less Socks | More Style
I've had these Sebagos for about two years and they're aging quite well.
These double monks are great for where ever you're going.

As much as I love wearing quirky socks with my outfits, sometimes it's just too hot. If you can, go with no socks and it'll make your shoes stand out more. I personally am going less with sporty sneakers and more into boat shoes and will be venturing into shopping for a pair of loafers. That's at least what I want to go for, dressy-ish but comfortable. Comfort really is a big thing with most men or anyone for that matter.If you really hate going sockless, like me, I would recommend buying no show socks from Journeys. I bought the women's sizes because my feet are small, and I would recommend you do the same if you have like around size 8's.

Sandals | Spartan Footwear
I'd wear these with a suit...
Brown is the new black.

While sandals are more casual and relaxed in by nature, you can pick ones that also emit sophistication. They even have camo.
At least for my peers, sandals have been something you kind of want to stay away from usually. I'm not talking about beach thong sandals anymore though. As for my shoes, I like to make them a dressy and casual hybrid and that will go for sandals as well. You want something that is leather and looks sophisticated, just like yourself (hopefully). 

Wondering where I got some of these items on the pictures? Here's the list:

Bucket Hats
  • Navy Wool Bucket Hat - Urban Outfitters
Shirts
  • Pink Oxford - Gap
  • Green and Blue Shirt - Hawkings McGill, Urban Outfitters
  • Blue/Yellow Plaid Shirt - Penguin
  • White Plaid Shirt - Perry Ellis
Shorts/Trunks
Shoes
Sandals

No comments:

Post a Comment